Search This Blog

newvine

Monday, December 1, 2008

Days of Our Lives: 12-1-08

EXT: LAKE OUTSIDE DIMERA COTTAGE: NIGHT
John treads water a few yards away from the dock, while Marlena does the same a few feet away.

JOHN
You're not going to make this easy.

MARLENA
Nope.

John swims toward her; Marlena easily stays just out of his reach.

JOHN
You're going to make me catch you?

MARLENA
You always could before. Maybe you're no longer up to the challenge.

JOHN
Challenge?
(Annoyed)
So you're testing me again?

MARLENA
Not really.

JOHN
Then what is it?

Marlena submerges. John looks around. He is suddenly startled as she grabs him beneath the water. Marlena resurfaces on the other side of the dock.

You!

MARLENA
(Laughing and splashing)
Me?

JOHN
Two can play at that game.

John submerges. Marlena circles around to the spot where John was; John surfaces were she was last.

Keep it up and we'll be too tired to have fun.

MARLENA
Too tired? Feeling a little old are we?

JOHN
Not likely!

He dives beneath the surface; again, Marlena swims away. She turns to look for him. He doesn't resurface.

MARLENA
John?
(Swimming back)
John?
(Panicking)
John!

He resurfaces and embraces her from behind. Smiling, she turns around and they passionately kiss.

Winston walks out on the dock and looks around. He is surprised to see them in the water.

WINSTON
(Playing it dead pan)
Sir, the staff and I are retiring for the evening.

JOHN
Good night.

WINSTON
Will you or your guests need anything before morning?

JOHN
Like what?

WINSTON
Drinks? Snacks?

JOHN
We'll just raid the kitchen.

WINSTON
If you tell me what you wish, I will prepare it before I retire.

MARLENA
Good night Winston.

WINSTON
It would not be a problem.

JOHN
Good night Winston.

WINSTON
Bathing suits, perhaps?

MARLENA
Winston, you don't approve of skinny-dipping?

WINSTON
I don't approve or disapprove. It's just unwise in a lake over run with snapping turtles--and swimmer's itch.

JOHN
Why didn't you say something?

WINSTON
I just did. Good night.

Winston walks back toward the cottage.

JOHN
Where were we?

MARLENA
Do you think he was kidding?

JOHN
If he wasn't--I'll scratch your--

MARLENA
What's the matter?

JOHN
Did you just touch my leg?

MARLENA
No. Why?

JOHN
I just felt something.

MARLENA
What something?

JOHN
There it is again. You sure it's not you?

MARLENA
(Showing her hands)
It's not me.

John looks down at the water. He flinches and quickly swims toward the ladder. Laughing, Marlena watches. Startled, she flinches and she follows.
CUT

INT: COTTAGE STUDY: NIGHT
Wearing John's shirt, Marlena walks in. John follows; he is wearing his pants and carrying his shoes. They are both dripping.

JOHN
So he wasn't kidding about the turtles.

Towels and a tube of anti-itch cream has been placed on the table. John picks up the cream.

Do you think this will be enough?

MARLENA
(Handing him a towel)
We’ll know soon enough.

Marlena walks towards the hallway.

JOHN
Where are you going?

MARLENA
Sometimes a shower helps.
(Stopping at the doorway)
Care to join me?

Smiling, John follows and they run up the stairs. Moments later, Winston appears with a mope; disapprovingly he looks up the stares and clicks his tongue before wiping up the water from the floor.
CUT

INT: CHEATING HEART: NIGHT
The bar is crowded with people having a good time. Max and Steve walk in. Max looks around

MAX
(Pointing at the bar)
There they are. Duane is the one in the green. Mike is in burgundy.

Steve starts toward them; Max stops him.

Let me. They aren’t exactly the trusting types.

STEVE
I can be subtle.

MAX
They already lied to the cops to protect him.

STEVE
Got it. I’ll be around.

Steve walks around the bar, stopping to talk with one of the guys playing pool. Max walks behind the bar and talks to the bartender for a few moments. The bartender nods and disappears into the kitchen. Max pretend to tidy behind the bar, slowly making his way to the two at the end.

MAX
Mike. Duane. Ready for another round?

DUANE
Not yet.

MAX
Let me know.

MIKE
Where you been?

Steve walks around the bar, talking to people.

MAX
I’ve been helping my ma out at the Pub. What about you guys? Keeping out of trouble?

DUANE
(Angrily)
Us always. Bernie not so much. Cops were asking about him again.

MAX
What for?

MIKE
His ex has been using the cops to harass him.

MAX
I thought your father was the County Sheriff?

MIKE
That’s why she calls the city boys. She’s conned one of their detective into doing her dirty work. He had him locked up for nothing.

DUANE
It wasn’t for nothing. Any man who won’t support his kids isn’t much of a man.

MIKE
She shouldn’t have divorced him.

DUANE
He’s your cousin and all-but he’s still crazy!

Steve sits on the bar stool close to Mike.

STEVE
Give me a draft.

MAX
Coming up.
(Pouring the beer and gives it to Steve
Crazy how?

MIKE
Shut up!

DUANE
No. I won’t!
(To Max)
The court was garnishing his child support. He tried to get Greg to pay him under the table so he wouldn‘t have t pay it. He wouldn’t. Bernie blew up and slugged him. Greg fired him.

MAX
Understandable.

MIKE
Joyce just wants more child support.

DUANE
He was stupid. If he doesn’t keep up with his support, he goes back to jail.

STEVE
My old lady’s like that too. She doesn’t just want a piece, she wants it all.

MIKE
She was never satisfied.

STEVE
They should be made to get a job too. Not just live off us.

MAX
It’s the father responsibility.

STEVE
(To Max)
You married.

MAX
No.

STEVE
Got kids.

MAX
No.

STEVE
Until you do, you can’t understand.

DUANE
I heard he kidnapped his kid.

MIKE
You can’t kidnap your own kid! .

MAX
Do you think he’d hurt him?

MIKE
(Over reacting)
No! I don’t care what anyone says. Bernie loves his son!

STEVE
Whoa! Chill. I understand where he’s coming from. No matter how much you give, she always wants more. No cash--no visitation! There should be a law against it.

MIKE
That’s right! He got a couple of weeks behind and she had him arrested.

DUANE
He was two months behind.

MIKE
His family had to pay up so he could get out.

MAX
Seems fair to me.

STEVE
What do you know? Nothing. I thought about taking my kid and disappearing. Trouble is I got no place to hide.

MIKE
We got a place.

STEVE
Don’t keep it to yourself. I might find the need to flee.

MIKE
(Draining his glass and standing)
I said too much already.

Mike throws some cash on the bar and leaves.

STEVE
(Following)
Damn!

Duane stands to follow; Max grabs his arm and shakes his head.

MAX
Let me buy you a beer.

Uncertain, Duane looks at the door.

You don’t want to go there.

Duane sits back down and Max refills his glass.
CUT

EXT: ALLEY OUTSIDE CHEATING HEART: NIGHT
Mike is walking towards his car. Steve catches up with him.

STEVE
Hey, dude. Wait!

MIKE
(Defensive)
What for?

STEVE
I want to talk to you.

MIKE
I’ve got nothing to say.

STEVE
(Catching up with him)
I just have a couple of questions.

MIKE
I don’t talk to cops I don‘t know.

STEVE
Unfortunately for you dude,
(Throwing him against the wall)
I’m not a cop.

MIKE
(Shoving Steve)
What’s your deal?

STEVE
I just want to know where you cousin took his kid.

MIKE
None of your business!

STEVE
Wrong answer!

MIKE
(Trying to walk away)
It’s the only one you are going to get.

STEVE
I hate when people walk away when I am talking to ‘em.

Steve spins Mike around and punches him. Mike falls against the trashcans; blood trickles out of his nose.

Let I said, where’s Bernie?

MIKE
(Leaping at him)
You son of a bitch!

Steve catches him propels him across the alley. Mike hits the wall. Quickly, he spins around and throws a punch at Steve. Steve grabs his fist. Twisting Mike’s arm around his back, he smashes Mike’s face into the wall.

STEVE
I also hate repeating myself.

MIKE
Go to hell!

STEVE
(Increasing the pressure on Mike’s arm)
Don’t make me ask again.

MIKE
You’ll pay for this! My father is the sheriff--

STEVE
Goody-goody for him. I’m shaking in my boots. Where’s Bernie?

Mike struggles.

When I get bored twisting, I’m going start breaking.

MIKE
You’ll pay for this!

STEVE
I’ve got buck and half that’s not doing nothing.

MIKE
You son of bitch!

Grabbing Mike’s hair with his free hand, he bounces his head off the wall.

STEVE
Don’t insult my mother. It’s rude. Is Bernie at the cabin?

MIKE
You got nothing!

STEVE
I’ll have your ass if you don’t start talking.

Max, Duane and two other men walk out of the bar.

MAX
Steve, I’ve got directions to the cabin.

DUANE
Bernie took us hunting there last fall.

MIKE
Shut up!

STEVE
(Twisting)
That’s not nice way to talk to a friend.

DUANE
I’m not going to stand by and do nothing. Bernie’s crazy. I remember what threatened to do.

MIKE
He was drunk!

MAX
It’s about an hour out.

STEVE
They’d be gone before we got there.

MAX
Not if he didn’t know.
(Indicating Duane and the two other men)
They’ve agreed to keep your friend company until we get back.

STEVE
You see that.
(Releasing him and shoving him toward Duane)
I’m sure they’ll take real good care of you.
(To Duane)
Don’t let him get to a phone.

DUANE
It won’t be a problem. We’re just going to drive around for a while. Maybe go out to Rich’s farm.

MIKE
You won’t get away with this. It’s kidnapping.

STEVE
I don’t see anything. Maxwell, you see anything.

MAX
Me either.

STEVE
Let’s go.

MAX
I’ll call you when we get back.

Steve and Max leave. The three other men surround Mike.
CUT

INT: CONSERVATORY: NIGHT
Tony and Renee sit together on the couch; Andrea Lee watches them from across the room.

RENEE
I’m confused.

ANDREA LEE
You usually are mother.

RENEE
Andrea please!

TONY
I know it is hard to believe.

RENEE
To say the very least.

TONY
It’s true.

RENEE
Emily would never just curse all of Stefano’s children and grandchildren. She wouldn’t hurt me!

TONY
She thinks you’re dead. We all did.

RENEE
What do you want from me?

TONY
Come back to Salem with me.

ANDREA LEE
Why?

TONY
I promised Lee I’d find you and bring you back.

RENEE
You promised Emily’s ghost?

TONY
Renee, darling you have to believe me.

RENEE
(Standing and walking away)
Tony, I’m trying. It just doesn’t make any sense.

ANDREA LEE
Since when did that ever stop you?

TONY
Have you always been so rude to your mother?

ANDREA LEE
Have you always been a bastard?

RENEE
If I go back, she’ll stop?

TONY
Yes. We think so.

RENEE
We?

TONY
Marlena and Celeste. Did you know you have a half brother and sister? Lexie and Elvis.

ANDREA LEE
Elvis? As in Presley?

RENEE
No I didn’t.

TONY
No, as in EJ Wells.

ANDREA LEE
The racecar driver?

TONY
(Nodding)
Lexie is Celeste and Stefano’s daughter. She is doctor. They both live in Salem

ANDREA LEE
It’d be worth the trip just to meet him.

RENEE
I would love to see Marlena again. I have always wanted to contact her, but father said it wouldn’t be a good idea.

TONY
Why? Marlena always cared a great deal about you.

RENEE
Father said they blamed me for your death.

TONY
(Taking her hands in his)
They would never--

RENEE
I bet my funeral was a very lonily affair. Not many people missed me. Bet there were a few who even danced on my grave.

TONY
My sweet Renee--

ANDREA LEE
Stop calling her that!

TONY
(Gently caressing her cheek)
We all missed you. Especially me.

Tony and Renee look into each other eyes.

When you died, my world ended.

ANDREA LEE
Obviously, you got over it.

TONY
(To Andrea)
Could you be a bigger bitch?

ANDREA LEE
For you, sure. I’ll put in the extra effort.

TONY
Don’t put yourself out on my account.

ANDREA LEE
Don’t worry. That’s a debt I won’t mine paying.

RENEE
I never did get a chance to say good-bye to my sister.

TONY
(Confused)
Emily was your mother.

RENEE
I know. But we were raised as sisters.
(Thinking it over)
Okay. I’ll do it.

ANDREA LEE
How gullible can one person be?

RENEE
When do you want to leave?

TONY
Immediately.

RENEE
Why so quick?

TONY
Lee has already hurt two people. She nearly killed EJ’s wife. I don’t know who else she’ll hurt if you don’t come back.

RENEE
(Walking closer to Andrea)
I see. Then I’ll pack right away. Do you want something to eat while you wait?

TONY
No. I’ll eat on the plane. How long before you’ll be ready?

RENEE
An hour. I have to make a few arrangements.

ANDREA LEE
I’ll be ready too.

TONY
You’re going?

ANDREA LEE
I wouldn’t miss it.

TONY
(Embracing Renee)
The plane will be ready.

Tony runs back through the house and out the front door.

ANDREA LEE
Have you lost your mind again?

RENEE
I don’t care what anyone says. That’s not Tony. Tony’s dead. He almost had me. Emily wouldn’t hurt anyone. She couldn’t. The moment he said she had, I knew he was lying.

ANDREA LEE
Then why are you going along with it.

RENEE
I want to see just how far Andre will take it. Besides, I haven’t been able to contact father.

ANDREA LEE
Do you think Andre knows where he is?

RENEE
I’m certain of it. Before I make him pay for murdering Tony, I’m going find out what he did to father.
CUT

No comments: